Friday, May 13, 2011

Nothing like a High Five from a Crush


Something was something yesterday.

I saw all but one guy on campus that I have had a thing with or was friends with.

Walking down the center of campus was like a movie reel of the past year at SLU. It was highly entertaining. 

Meghan and I were walking to the student center to sell my books back/to get some exercise/to enjoy the weather and the reel began.

GSB, naturally.

Then my favorite run-in of the day and one I will spend the most time on. I see my friend/crush, let’s call him….Fox (because he’s a total fox ;-) just kidding because I looked up from where I write this and saw the 
word fox….and he’s a total fox).

I spot him coming from just enough distance to prepare and worry that I look like absolute poo. Yes, poo.

He’s dressed up in all black coming from the direction of the B school. Lookin’ good. Crap. It doesn’t help 
Meghan is walking next to me saying, “Oh my God, I’m so nervous! I don’t know what to do with myself. 
What do I do?”

“Ha-ha, you’re not the one who hung out with him and likes him and hasn’t seen or heard from him since,” I joke. But seriously, I’m freaking out a little here. She realizes and we keep talking until the last minute where I have to look up and “see” him even though I already know what’s coming.

He sees me.

We walk toward each other smiling.

We’re almost to a meeting point but close enough so speak.

“Hiiii,” I say in the way that is specifically reserved for men I like and am happy to see. What can I say? It just comes out that way.

“Hi,” he says as his arm starts to lift….for a high five. A HIGH FIVE!! Really, Fox? Really? It happened, though.

Our hands meet in the air, in the gesture known as a high five, and then they lower. Together. He’s holding my hand still. Our hands linger together, fingertips touching for seconds longer than were absolutely necessary. I realize this and take back my hand.

He tells me he’s dressed this way due to a presentation he just gave. We talk about finals. I’m done, he still has one more the next day. We both feel the conversation coming to an end and we both go our separate ways with the excuse of changing clothes and selling back books.

We walk away from each other. I slap my hand against my forehead in an oh-my-God-I-can’t-believe-that-just-happened motion saying, “A high five! Really?”

I walk further and run into a friend, a guy from high school, GSB’s roommate that Meghan accidentally whistled at, and sell my books back. I head home and see GSB. The whole episode with him proceeds as I mentioned in the last blog.

I go to the gym. Nicki and I are discussing the events of the day. I’m freaking out, mildly. She’s thoroughly enjoying herself and says so. It is at this point that I roll my eyes at her affectionately and notice Fox across the gym. I tell Nicki and her smile gets even bigger. “I am loving this day,” she says.

I ignore her and get on my machine. I can feel her looking at me. “Stop looking at me,” I tell her. I don’t have to look at her to know she’s smiling all smug at me. I zone out and think my thoughts for the next two miles on the Arc Trainer.

I go about my workout routine. I am just getting off the most awkward machine when I pop up and see Fox walking, phone, keys, gym paraphernalia in hand, looking at me.

We give each other the nod. Smile. Take out our ear-buds and walk toward each other.

“Wow twice in one day,” I say. He doesn’t hear me and I repeat myself.

“Yeah, aren’t you lucky?” he says with a smirk.

“Or you!” I say even though he is so not lucky seeing me twice in one day without makeup, hot and sweaty.

“I just talked to your roommate,” Fox says about Nicki and something lets me know their conversation had something to do with me (which I found out later that it did. One point for Kaylin!).

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, she told me your plans to go to Club Fusion tomorrow.” The conversation goes on and he proceeds to tell me his plans for the weekend, including his proximity to my location ;-). “Hit me up….I’m sure I’ll be talking to you guys in the meantime.” There’s that “you guys” again, playin’ it cool.

Sounds good to me! We say bye and I finish my workout.

Thank God, he redeemed himself with this second run-in and didn’t high five me again! Nothing like a high five from a guy you have a crush on and hung out with the weekend before….thanks, Fox.

1 comment: