Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's Next?


How many times in our lives do or will we ask ourselves or be asked, “What’s next?”  
The answer… Only about every time we reach a new milestone or achieve a goal. There’s something in our human nature that drives us to achieve and then as soon as we find success turn around to ask “What’s next?”

When we ask ourselves this question, we are naturally given the luxury of time and solitude to muse and brood over this question. We give ourselves as much time and space to figure out our next step, to form a plan, to discover just what it is that we want and/or need.

However, when someone else asks us this question, there is a wholly different reaction that occurs within us. For instance, there is a certain pressure that loads this question. The need to have some spectacular answer becomes great…as does the feeling of inadequacy when we don’t have that magnificent plan to share. The temptation to make something up on the spot - just to have an answer -to give our interrogator something to oooh and aaah over grows bigger within us with each passing second.

At times, we can’t help but exaggerate and embellish our lives so that we don’t feel as if everyone else is accomplishing more with their lives while we sit watching the grass grow. Other times, we are at a loss as to what to say. Really, the odds are that only a very miniscule portion of those we come into contact with actually have lives as fabulous as they claim. As for the rest, well, we’re just posers – at least for a time until we really do something fabulous to tell the world.

After answering this question numerous times in the past six months due to my quickly approaching graduation, my reaction has changed over time and continues to do so. Now when someone asks me, “What’s next?” A keen sense of panic takes hold of my chest and constricts until I finally come up with an answer. Only then does Panic loosen its hold on me, but does not completely release me.

The spectacular answer I’d really like to give is this, “I DON’T KNOW!!” My magnificent plan is this; I don’t have one because I’m not there yet. Whatever answer I give and whatever plan I formulate today is going to change six days, six weeks, six months from now. And we all know the famous saying about “The Best Laid Plans…” and it’s true. Have you ever had a plan that has worked out every step of the way exactly the way you’d thought? Odds are the answer is no.

So the next time someone asks me, “What’s next?” My answer is going to be this: “I’ll let you know when I get there. Right not, I’m just enjoying the ride.”

No comments:

Post a Comment