Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Big Stomach, Small Body


In the past 6 months, I have been seriously underestimated. On three separate occasions, the same sequence of events has occurred. And each time to the amazement of those who have underestimated me I have proven them wrong. 

The first time, I went to The Cheesecake Factory with my parents. The second time, I was with my parents again at Tucker’s Place in Soulard. And the third, I went with some friends to The Fountain on Locust.  
Each time I ordered something different, something big like 1) the Burrito Grande, 2) an 20 oz. Porterhouse steak with a baked potato aaand a salad that came out first, 3) and pesto chicken on some sort of bread, a side salad and a giant ice cream sundae called the Bearcat, respectively.

In other words…something that apparently the male waiters did not think I would ever in a million years be able to finish. 

So what did they do?

They listen to my order with a smirk on their face. They serve me my food and say, “Good luck!” as if they don’t believe I’ll actually eat the amount of food put in front of me. One guy even added a little something extra to his “kind wishes” and said, “I can’t wait to see this.”

I look to my Dad who knows what I am capable of and also has a grin of his own because on these occasions I have eaten more than him.  And each time I reply, “Well then, watch this.”

And I proceed to eat every last bite of food on my plate and still have room for dessert.

Note to male waiters: do not underestimate the power of my stomach to hold food. I may be smaller than you; I may look like a girl who would order a salad and only eat half of it before announcing “I’m so full.” But if you think these things based on my physique, you will be wrong. I will order something large from the menu if I am hungry; I wouldn’t order something that big just to waste it. I will eat it all. And you, sir, will feel simultaneously like an ass and impressed. 

Oh yes and the guy who said he couldn't wait to see this and wished me luck came back to clear my empty plate from the table and said, "I’m impressed, I didn’t think you could do it. I like a girl who can eat.”

Well, sir, then I’m your kind of girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment