Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Reflection We Can't See

Recently, it has become more and more apparent to me as to just what the purpose of our friends and family is in our lives. Some may say these special and privileged people whom we grant a golden ticket into our lives are there to love, support, and, possibly, entertain us.

In all actuality, this is probably one of the truest statements out there - for those of us who are lucky enough to have people we call family and friends, that is.

In the past few days, I have been told a couple of things that I never knew about myself, that gave me a reason to take a moment, put my life on pause and think about, and that inspired this blog.

"You have cute ankles." I can honestly say that I have never been told this before in my life. It was definitely a first! I have never given my ankles much more thought than "I really hope I never have cankles" or "OW HOLY MOTHER OF SWEET BABY JESUS THAT HURTS" (okay, so this is definitely not what I said when I broke my ankle but replace just about every word after 'Holy' with an expletive and you'll catch my drift...it hurt!). I now have a much higher opinion of this particular feature of my anatomy than I ever would have having not received this impromptu compliment from a friend as we sweated it out in the sauna.

"You'll figure out what's right for you. You're good at that." Am I? I'm sure glad someone thinks so because lately I've felt like it's been a never ending struggle to figure out just what that right thing is to do.

Of course there have been other things throughout my life said by other friends and family members which have never ceased to take me by surprise.

These people in our lives watch us when we aren't aware of being watched (and no, not in the creepy, Peeping-Tom way of the Super Stalker). They see us in a way we can't see ourselves. They see all the little imperfections like the giant red mountain on our forehead. They see all the annoying habits we have like always being late or just barely right on time. They see all the things we don't like about ourselves and wish no one else knew about like that third nipple (just kidding. Please, tell me someone caught that Friends reference).

Yet, and this is the kicker....THEY LIKE US ANYWAY!! For whatever reason, these people stick around and, not only do they stick around, but they act as the reflection we can't see when we look in the mirror. Maybe friends and family are the people on the other side of the mirror, there to let us know what's up.

They are the ones who are going to look at us and say, "(Your name here), that shirt is (fill in the blank) ugly. Take it off....NOW!!"

They are the ones who are going to take that one seemingly insignificant feature of our anatomy (ankles, shoulders, earlobes, back-dimples, what have you) and make us want to flaunt it...within reason. Let's keep it clean.

They are the ones who are going to tell us things we didn't even know about ourselves because either 1) we don't notice it because it comes naturally and, therefore, is taken for granted, 2) we didn't know we were good at it/had it, or 3) we actually thought we sucked at it/never had it/never could have it, but, apparently, from the other side of that metaphorical mirror someone actually thinks that we don't suck, that we do have it and that we have always had it.....whatever "it" may be.

I love these moments when friends and family give me the briefest glimpse into the person they see when they look at me. It is a wonderful feeling to know that someone is paying attention, that someone is seeing me, that someone is willing to share these little tidbits without any ulterior motive other than simply saying what's on their mind, that someone even cares enough to notice let alone tell me what they've gathered and concluded.

I like being someone with cute ankles; who is good at figuring out what is best for me; who reminds people of Jennifer Aniston. Even if I think these people are just completely full of **** and blowing smoke up my...it's still nice to hear.

But mostly, I think it's nice (understatement) to know that I have people in my life who are there to tell me about the reflection I can't see when I look in the mirror....

P.S. Don't worry, I'm sure you do too ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Yayyy i love this!! and i definitely caught the Friends reference ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. I will now look to check out your cute ankles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog reminds me of Through the Looking Glass where Alice sees one thing but on the other side there is often the opposite reflection. You do have cute ankles (your Mothers :) and there was never a doubt that you would figure things out. There is a quote that a friend gave me once and it totally applies here "A friend is someone who understands you past believes in your future and accepts you just the way you are". This goes for family to! Your mind inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) i love this. truly love this. you opened my mind.

    ReplyDelete